This is the fifth time to write
the response. I always regretted that why I read all the handmaid’s tale at the
first time. I have already said a lot about the overview of the story, the
color’s meaning, the offred and Nick. So this time I will analysis the
commander and Luke.
The commander is man who maybe
cannot have a baby. But in Gilead, man will never has sterility. I think the
commander actually know why he cannot have a children. He did the ceremony as a
routine. From the depiction of how wife and the commander we can know that the
wife cannot be into the commander’s room, which means she does not have sex
with him actually. We can inform that he knows that there are no use for him to
have a sex with anyone because he know himself cannot have a baby. So he invite
the offred to his room is just to play the Scrabble and talk. He know that if
offred was been caught by the wife, she will die. However he is still do that,
which means he don’t love offred at all. She to him is just like a toy to a
little boy. There are two handmaids before her. Those two are died for the same
reason. He is a typical man who thinks man is the power and can control woman’s
life. He invite them, because he know that he will never be faulted. If it was
caught by someone, only the handmaid will be killed. He is nothing. I think
that’s why he do the same thing once and once again.
As for Luke, he is the offred’s
husband, who has married once. We can know that she loves him very much in the
past years they even has a girl. Offred always remember him and think about him,
wondering what is happened on him. She has imagine three ways: first, get arrived
to another country and have a good life. Second, he was caught by the government
and have no good life. Third, he was killed directly by the army. She does not
know the real answer, I neither. But for the later to see, I would rather think
he is been killed than he is alive. Because if he can return to the country and
find out his woman was been a handmaid. And even falling love with a driver. He
will want to kill someone. That’s not a good idea for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment